IEEE 2006 Workshop on Distributed Intelligent Systems
Diplomat Hotel Prague * Czech Republic
June 15 - 16, 2006

Workshop Party
Walking Tour of Prague

Walking Tour of Prague

Wednesday June 14, 2006, 16.00 - 19.00
Meeting Point: Registration Desk at 15.45

Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic, is our most valuable historical city reserve. In 1992 the historical core of the city covering 866 hectares was listed in the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage Register.

Professional guide will take us on pleasant sightseeing tour of Prague with a pleasure walk through Prague Castle, the Lesser Town, Charles Bridge and other Prague's monuments.

We will start the walking tour of Prague with the area of the famous Prague Castle.

Prague Castle is the largest medieval castle complex in Europe.
Destructive wars and fires, along with differing political forces have combined to create a truly unique architectural complex.
The Prague Castle complex, seat of Czech kings throughout the ages, includes the Gothic St. Vitus Cathedral (the most conspicuous landmark in Prague), several palaces, a monastery, viewing towers, St. George's Basilica and the enchanting Golden Lane.
Today, Prague Castle is the seat of the President of the Czech Republic, and serves as the historical and political centre of both city and state.
The Changing of the Guard at the front gates takes place every hour. At noon the ceremony includes a fanfare.

We will continue with walking through the Lesser Town, which was founded in 1257 on the slopes bellow the Prague castle and it is the part of Prague least affected by resent history.

Via the well-known Charles Bridge we will reach Prague Old Town. Firstly mentioned in 1091- it is the oldest of the towns of Prague gained the privileges of a town in the 13th century. However, its name dates back to the 14th century when the New Town was founded. The centre of the Old Town has always been the Old Town Square dominated by the Church of Our Lady of Tyn and the Town Hall. The most popular part of the tower of the Town Hall is the Town Hall Clock (Orloj). Originally installed in 1410, the clock was rebuilt by the Master Hanus in 1490. It consists of three parts - the procession of Apostles, the astronomical clock and the calendar.

Our last stop will be Wenceslas Square - the part of New Town. The carefully planned New Town was founded by Charles IV in 1348. Twice as large as the Old Town, it was mainly inhabited by tradesmen and craftsmen. During the late 19th century its outer fortification were demolished and redeveloped to its present appearance.
*/ ?>